The oldest part of the castle dates from 1634. The main part was completed in 1795 by Robert Paterson, previously clerk of works to the celebrated Robert Adam.
In 1908 a serious fire took hold of the castle with only the outside walls remaining. The leading Scottish architect of the day, Sir Robert Lorimer was instructed to restore the castle. His lifelong affinity with traditional Scottish architecture saw him encourage and develop a number of Edinburgh craftsmen and workshops, whose work is on display as part of a harmonious piece of design.
Castle opening times
2019: 18 May – 16 June, 2pm – 4.30pm
By appointment at other times. Entry fee £7, Children £1. Guests who stay in our holiday cottages for three nights or more receive a complimentary tour (subject to availability) April - October and Christmas.