In honour of Museum Week we’ve put together our top 5 local museums. Get involved and celebrate the local culture.
- Discover Scotland’s oldest free, public lending library: a museum where you can literally touch the past. Get your head stuck in a book at Innerpeffray library – history and literature lovers will be intrigued.
- Learn more about the former city of Scotland and visit Perth Museum and Art Gallery, you won’t be disappointed. It’s lovely and quite fascinating with a fantastic collection of objects, which reflects nicely the history of the local area.
- The small, volunteer-led museum at Dunblane Cathedral gives an interesting and well presented insight into the area and the events that have occurred around Dunblane. This little hidden treasure is definitely worth an hour of your time.
- The Beatrix Potter Exhibition and Garden is perfect for a family day out. It’s a delightful little place to discover the links that Beatrix Potter had to the local area. You’ll thoroughly enjoy walking through the idyllic Beatrix Potter Garden to visit Mrs Tiggy Winkle in her house. Watch out for Mr Fox, and of course see if you can find Peter Rabbit himself!
- Don’t go to Callander without visiting the Hamilton Toy Collection. With an amazing collection of toys from the last hundred years, the wonderful memories of your childhood will come flooding back.
Of course, we have our very own museum right here. Monzie Castle is a large castellated mansion which incorporates a small early 17th-century L-plan tower house. Wander around the picturesque grounds visiting the formal garden which is attached to the tower house. The castle is open to visitors during 16 May – 14 June; Daily, 2pm-4.30pm.